American soldiers who were serving in World War I saw a different style of houses in the French countryside. After that, this kind of homes started getting built in the US too. While this design originated in France in the 1600s, it became quite popular in the 1920s. Then for some period it lost its charm but is now once again popular among the people. The one thing that appeals to people the most is the elegance of the French Provincial Home Architecture.
The French Provincial Home Architecture
French Provincial Architecture has specific standalone characteristics that distinguish it from other forms of architecture.
1. They Have A Proportioned Layout
Unlike most of the different styles, French Style Homes are built in symmetry and quite balanced. Their balance can be seen in the well-proportioned structure of these homes. The windows in these homes are equally divided on both sides so that the balance is maintained.
2. Their Exteriors Are Made Of Brick
Unlike other houses in the US, where timber is preferred for the exteriors, French Provincial Architecture uses bricks or stones. While it is not a rule to use bricks for the entire exterior, architects sometimes use timber along with bricks to add decorative elements to the house.
3. Steep And Hipped Roofs Are A Distinguishing Feature
These houses have steep roofs that slope down towards the walls of the house. Their steep roofs are visible from a distance and are therefore decorated with wooden elements.
4. They Have Tall Windows On The Second Story
These houses are known to have tall and arched windows on the second Stories. These tall windows sometimes protrude out of the roof line of the house.
While these houses are once again gaining popularity, they are always on the higher side when it comes to expenses.
Get a Free Consultation Today!
- Granny Flat Designs To Get Your Home Smarter - Granny flats are small-sized flats that complement the main house of a duplex setup. Here are some ideas for house with granny flat designs that can be incorporated: Abundant Windows Lofted ceiling and abundance of windows in the flat can make it light-filled. Add clerestory windows on the top of the walls to provide privacy […]
- Dual Occupancy Designs for Modern Homes - Dual Occupancy Homes are becoming highly popular these days due to the amount of the space that they have to offer to incorporate the functionalities that the owner wants and also that they are a source of cash flow in case the owner wants to give them on rent: Here are some of the dual occupancy […]
- Terrace Home Plans - Terraced Home is the most popular housing style in the west. This style is now adopted by many parts of the world. As the population is increasing and the land to live on is decreasing, developments that require lesser space are coming into fashion. Terrace Home Designed earlier were not comfortable. A good layout plan […]
- Terraced Houses Plan Designs - Terraced Houses are small, compact-sized house. Due to their size, their architectural layout plays an important role. A well-architect-ed house will still be a choice of many regardless of the size. The concept that should be employed primarily for the renovation and restoration of these developments should be space management. Incorporating light and neutral color […]
- A Quick Sneak-Peak into Australian Duplex Designs - Australian constructions are famous all over the world for their interesting designs. Especially Australian duplex designs that allow you to live plentifully and comfortably as it comprises of two independent developments sharing a common wall. The independent developments are known to be a mirror image of each other. The designs also go by the name […]
- TERRACE HOME DESIGN - TERRACE HOME DESIGN : Terraced Houses originated in the 16th century and the layouts that we follow till date are not very comfortable but these houses can be easily modified as per our comfort and luxury. Terrace Homes also have a huge scope of development and redesign. Using neutral colors for the developments make them look […]
- Terraced Houses Plans - Terraced Houses are small, compact-sized house. Due to their size, their architectural layout plays an important role. A well-architected house will still be a choice of many regardless of the size. Terraced Houses originated in the 16th century and the layouts that we follow till date are not very comfortable but these houses can be […]
- Terraced Houses - Terraced Houses originated in the 16th century and the layouts that we follow till date are not very comfortable but these houses can be easily modified as per our comfort and luxury. Terrace Homes also have a huge scope of development and redesign. Using neutral colors for the developments make them look more spacious and […]
- TERRACE HOMES - Terraced House are living units often situated in urban areas and cities with lack of space. These houses are preferred because of the advantages they bring along. These small development are gaining popularity by employees or small family man/woman. Terraced Houses are developed in rows and they are more vertical than horizontal. Let’s take a […]
- Buying A Terraced House - Terrace Homes are climbing the charts in urban areas due to the ever-increasing population and decreasing land space. People living in apartments are drifting towards terraced homes because of their affordable rates. There are some design aspects which you should take a look at before buying a terraced house. Terraced Homes are often referred to […]